Monday, March 29, 2010

classic Ludwig

I went on the road this past weekend and used a refurbished kit that I just finished. It is a classic Ludwig set. Hearing them miked for the first time gave me the chills. I sounded like the late John Bonham of Led Zepplin. I even set them up the way Bonham did... two floor toms.
On the way to Georgia, we stopped to pick up the bass player in Nashville. Having never met the guy, we wondered how the weekend would turn out. He proved to be a great asset to the group.
Upon arrival, we set up and checked the sound... I recall thinking, "man, this bass player is really good. this is going to be fun."
I refinished the old used Ludwig set from a plastic grey wrap to a beautiful classic black finish with a light sparkle. with the original bass drum hoops being metal with a grey stripe on them, the drum set looked charcoal.
I modified the rack tom by cutting 4 inches off making it 12"x8" fitting nicely on the bass drum. I made the 13"x13" a floor tom, mounting it to a cymbal stand next to the 16"x16" floor tom. I used a metal snare with the set to brighten the tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment